We all get sick sometimes so we all need time to get well. But far too many workers can’t afford to take that time because they can’t earn even one paid sick day. Activists across the country are changing that. This year, six cities and the state of Vermont have already expanded access to earned paid sick days. That makes a total of 29 cities and five states where workers can now earn paid days so they can afford to stay home when they are sick, go to a doctor, or care for a sick child. It’s a huge step for forward for their financial security, it helps businesses reduce turnover, and it’s a common-sense way to improve public health.
Today, people across the country are talking with their U.S. Representatives about the Healthy Families Act. This bill would allow workers in businesses with 15 or more employees to earn up to seven job-protected paid sick days each year, and workers in businesses with fewer than 15 employees would earn up to seven job-protected unpaid sick days each year to be used for the same reasons, unless their employers choose to offer paid sick days. While we would like all employees to be able to earn paid sick days, ensuring that no one will lose their job when they get sick will make a big difference for the many workers who risk getting fired if they take time to get well.
Rep. Pingree is already a cosponsor of the House version of the bill, H.R.932, but Rep. Poliquin has not signed on. Please take a few minutes to call 1-844-442-8777 to call your Representative. You’ll be asked to enter your zipcode and then you’ll be connected to the office of either Rep. Pingree or Rep.Poliquin.
- If Rep. Pingree is your Congresswoman, thank her for being a cosponsor of the Healthy Families Act and ask her to continue to be a champion for this legislation.
- If Rep. Poliquin is your Congressman, tell him why you think it’s important to pass the Healthy Families Act and urge him to become a cosponsor.
Nearly 200,000 Mainers can’t earn a single paid sick day. The Healthy Families Act would make a big difference in their lives. Please call 1-844-442-8777 to tell our Representatives today.
A few other ways to get involved:
- People will be tweeting about the need for the Healthy Families Act all day. Use #paidsickdays and #HFAnow to join them.
- At 12:30 PM, Family Values at Work and Forward Together are holding a virtual lobby day call. Register athttp://myaccount.maestroconfer
ence.com/conference/register/W F7V5WCDFHB44J0. If will be about 45 min. long.
- Take a picture to share on social media telling why you think we need the Healthy Families Act. You can print this page to use:http://familyvaluesatwork.org/
graphics/Week-of-Action-Frame- v2.pdf or you can make your own – just be sure to include #HFAnow. You can email your picture to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet it with the hashtag #HFAnow.
- Tell your story about the need for paid sick days at http://bit.ly/MEpsdstory.
- And listen to President Obama’s remarks at yesterday’s United State of Women Summit:http://1.usa.gov/1OoZ1pH.