Community Organizer and Program Assistant
The Maine Women’s Policy Center and Maine Women’s Lobby seek an outgoing and engaging Community Organizer and Program Assistant for a one-year position with the potential for renewal.
Together our two small, mighty, feminist organizations with thousands of supporters and activists across the state advance policies to ensure freedom from violence, freedom from discrimination, access to the full range of health care, and economic security. Our organizer will be traveling around the state, speaking with women of diverse backgrounds about the issues that matter most in their lives. Additional duties, outlined below, will be office-based.
Position Summary & Primary Responsibilities: The Community Organizer and Program Assistant is a 40-hour/week position based in our Augusta office with travel as needed. The primary role is to engage women across the state on key issues to support our civic engagement, research, and policy initiatives. This work will be accomplished through a variety of activities including one-to-one conversations, small gatherings, educational events, and phone calls. The position reports to the Director of Program and Development, but works closely with all staff.
- Event planning and coordination
- Volunteer recruitment and management
- Listening to women’s stories and empowering them to share them in different formats
- Organizing and participating in phone banks
- Working with partner organizations and coalitions
- Representing the organizations through tabling at events
- Data entry and tracking engagement
- Assist in development of outreach and educational materials and communications
- Extensive in-state travel (reliable vehicle a must)
- Some night and weekend hours as necessary
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Comfort with and sensitivity to communities of varying backgrounds, including economic, geographic, educational, gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnic, and racial backgrounds
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask, juggling several goals and initiatives at one time
- Comfortable working independently as well as collaboratively
This full-time position offers competitive pay and benefits. The Maine Women’s Policy Center and Maine Women’s Lobby are equal opportunity employers and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 20, 2016.